Almost a year ago, the Samaritan Cancer Program announced its collaboration with oncology specialists in Oregon.
Oregon oncology specialists have a long history of providing exceptional cancer care and, like the Samaritan Cancer Program, a passion for providing compassionate, patient-centered care. The collaborative program has benefited patients in the Samaritan Tri-Counties region, helping them access comprehensive cancer care near their homes.
âIt is gratifying to see our cancer patients and our healthcare team thrive as a result of this collaboration,â said Barbara Croney, vice president of ancillary services and academic affairs. âOur shared approach to patient care and harnessing the experience and leadership capabilities of Oregon oncology specialists is another way to advance our well-established cancer control program in Samaritan. ”
The collaboration is also increasing the number of cancer clinicians seeing patients at each of the five Samaritans Hematology and Oncology Consultant sites in Benton, Lincoln and Linn counties. They include:
- Robert Davis, MD, recently completed a stock market training. Dr. Davis is fluent in Spanish and understands the intersection of medicine and culture in the Spanish speaking community.
- Eric Gershman, MD, has 28 years of experience in medical oncology and hematology. He enjoys doing community education on oncology screening and wellness.
- Catherine O’Brien, MD, is an accomplished specialist who has been recognized for her excellence throughout her career. It combines state-of-the-art care with careful consideration of the needs of each patient.
- William “Bud” Pierce, MD, PhD, is a pioneer in cancer care in the Willamette Valley, with a medical career spanning four decades. He is highly regarded by patients and his peers for his commitment to excellence.
- John Strother, MD, is the medical director of Samaritain Hematology & Oncology Consultants. It combines the latest breakthroughs in cancer treatment with respect and compassion for each patient.
- Natasha Tiffany, MD, is committed to medical excellence and to providing personalized care. She also teaches at Oregon Health & Science University.
- Herschel Wallen, MD, has a background in cancer research and brings more than 20 years of experience in medical oncology and hematology.
- Marisa Adlesich, PA-C, has a background in emergency care and occupational medicine, and is delighted to be part of the hematology and oncology team.
- Ryan Cain, PA-C, specializes in bone marrow biopsies and lumbar punctures with intrathecal chemotherapy. He also provides follow-up for patients with bone marrow transplants and cell therapy.
- Stacie Fulcher, PA-C, keeps abreast of the latest information and data on cancer treatment and medications to improve patient outcomes through individualized care.
- Tabitha Phillips, PA-C, has a background in family, hospital and emergency medicine, and is thrilled to be part of the hematology and oncology team.
- Holly Almond, MSN, FNP, is a certified advanced oncology nurse practitioner with nearly 30 years of experience in hematology, oncology and bone marrow transplant services. She is particularly interested in cancer survival and the management of post-treatment side effects.
- Sharyn Shepherd, FNP, specializes in immunotherapy, a treatment that uses the immune system to fight cancer. She uses a holistic approach in her practice.
Cancer care will also be provided by two long-time contract clinicians, Tina Passalaris, MD, and Thomas Jones, MD.
The cancer care team sees patients with all types of cancer and blood disorders. With the addition of these clinicians, patients can typically schedule visits for the first appointments within five days or less.
âWe are proud and honored to provide patients with an exceptional range of cancer diagnostic, treatment and follow-up services,â said John Strother, Oncologist and Medical Director of Samaritan Hematology & Oncology Consultants. âWe are committed to improving the experience of our patients by providing them with competent, comprehensive and compassionate care. “
In oneIn addition to comprehensive hematology and oncology services, the Samaritan Cancer program combines innovative research and coordinated patient care, from medical oncology to radiation therapy, specialist breast care, surgery, orthopedic oncology, survival planning, laboratory, diagnostic imaging, lymphedema care, speech therapy, support services, as well as a welcome home in Corvallis, Mario Pastega House, which offers low cost stays eligible patients during their treatment.
Learn more about the cancer care team or the services available through the Samaritan Cancer Program.