Founded in 1965, with historical roots going back to the 1930s, the NAES is the only pre-college educational association that has both national reach and episcopal character.
Summary of position
Reporting to the Director General, the Associate Director of NAES works with all staff to advance the organization’s mission, engaging in staff meetings and consultations, as well as providing ongoing assistance and collaboration with key community initiatives. In addition, the Associate Director is responsible for the following areas:
The Associate Director will serve our member schools as follows:
- Respond to requests for assistance from members and provide a monthly journal of counseling activity. Topics include: Church-School Relations, Parish Day School Governance, Episcopal Identity, Council and Leadership Development, Leadership Transitions, and School Worship.
- On-site assistance to schools and dioceses at their request or in collaboration with the Director General.
- Maintain an active presence on the NAES community (online discussion forums).
The Associate Director will plan and execute all aspects of the following NAES offerings:
- Plan and develop the NAES webinar series (9-13 per year), with support from the communications manager.
- Lead and coordinate the NAES Chaplain Mentorship Program.
- Lead and coordinate the programmatic elements of the NAES Diversity Initiative, including the Annual Diversity and Inclusion Conference.
- Work with the Executive Director and NAES staff to develop content for, attend and / or present on-site NAES programs as needed, including:
– Biennial conference
– NAES Early Childhood Leadership Days (2-3 per year)
– Annual meeting of the Urban Episcopal Alliance of Schools
– New conference of chefs
– Conference of future leaders
– Retreat of chaplains
- Develop thought leadership articles and organize online resources for the NAES website, community discussion forums and Network, the monthly bulletin of the NAES.
- Review and update NAES publications, including participation in new ones Principles of good practice.
Work with peer organizations
The Associate Director represents the NAES at regional or national conferences delegated by the Executive Director, such as:
- National Association of Independent Schools
- Annual regional AIS conferences such as SAIS, FCIS and SAES
- Annual Conference of the Consortium of Episcopal Parishes
Qualifications and desired experience
A deep commitment to the mission of episcopal schools is crucial. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience as a member of senior management (preferably as a school principal) in a bishopric school. Knowledge and experience of working with schools and school boards on issues of episcopal identity, leadership, governance and administration is desirable.
This position includes both in-person and virtual work elements. For example, trips to attend association events and member schools are expected. However, the association has employees located across the country and also works with its members through Zoom and other technologies. As such, there is no need for the Associate Director to move to the main office in New York City. Ideally, the candidate is available for a start date of July 1, 2022.
How to register
Interested candidates should submit their CV together with a cover letter expressing their interest in the position and highlighting experiences that will inform their work as Associate Director. Applicants must also submit three professional references. Applicants should submit documents in a single digital file via email to Rev. David A. Madison, elected executive director at [email protected] by November 15, 2021.
Please direct inquiries to [email protected]